The Process Before & After Weight Loss Surgery
Below is an example of the usual patient process. This is for an uncomplicated patient who has not undergone weight loss surgery previously and is deemed suitable for surgery. Patients funded by superannuation may experience minor delays.
Referral & Booking
• You need a referral from your GP or other specialist.
• Contact us to book your consultation.
• We’ll refer you to take a blood test straight away.
Consultation at Sea Change
• Our practice Nurse will call you with some questions.
• You will see one of the surgeons at our clinic.
• Surgery will be scheduled (for within about 1 month).
• You will also see our Dietitian.
Low Calorie Diet for 2 weeks
This involves using Optifast, a nutritionally complete low energy liquid diet designed for use before weight loss surgery.
Attend Hospital for Surgery
Typically you will be required to stay 1-2 nights in hospital.
You will normally be sent home on some basic pain relief and able to easily care for yourself and your surgical wounds.
Follow-Up Consultations at Sea Change
Approximately, you will see our:
• Dietitian 2 weeks after surgery
• Surgeon 4 weeks after surgery
• Dietitian 6-8 weeks after surgery
• Surgeon 12 weeks after surgery
• Dietitian 15 weeks after surgery